When considering the decision to divorce in Birmingham, life may seem confusing. You may imagine tough courtroom fights with the process dragging on for months or even years. However, if you and your spouse don’t have significant disagreements, you can consider an uncontested divorce, which has several benefits. Meet one of the top Birmingham divorce lawyers, and they can offer bespoke advice based on your circumstances.
- An uncontested divorce is more straightforward: Both parties in an uncontested divorce should agree on essential matters concerning the separation. The list includes property and asset distribution, child custody, child support, and alimony. If these major points of contention are resolved amicably, an uncontested divorce is the simplest way to end a divorce in Alabama.
- An uncontested divorce takes less time: Contested divorces can continue for months, but uncontested divorces are more uncomplicated as the terms are agreed on in advance. You can expect to complete the process in less than a few weeks. If you want to move on and have no reason to start a legal battle with your spouse, this is the best step forward.
- An uncontested divorce doesn’t involve depending on the court: If you and your spouse are fighting over child custody, assets, or alimony and there is no room for mediation, the court will eventually decide the outcome. This could drastically change things for you. In an uncontested divorce, you don’t have to appear in court time and again, which means you have a resolution sooner.
- An uncontested divorce is cheaper: Most law firms in Birmingham will accept uncontested divorce lawsuits on a flat fee. The amount could be a tad higher when there is a minor child involved, but the costs are in no way comparable to that of a contested divorce. Your lawyer will not charge a retainer fee as their work is limited to paperwork.
- An uncontested divorce doesn’t cause as much stress: That’s another thing to remember when it comes to ending your marriage. Because you are not ending things on a bitter note, you can choose to remain friends with your spouse. In most cases, it is also possible to retain family emotions and relationships.
There is no denying that an uncontested divorce will give you the peace of mind to focus on things that truly matter to you. With an attorney handling most tasks, you can take time to process your emotions without worrying about the outcome.